ForeWord Reviews is pleased to announce the 2010 Book of the Year Awards list of finalists. Representing more than 350 publishers, the finalists were selected from 1400 entries in 56 categories. These books are examples of independent publishing at its finest.
The winners will be determined by a panel of librarians and booksellers selected from our readership. Gold, Silver, and Bronze winners, as well as Editor’s Choice Prizes for Fiction and Nonfiction will be announced at a special program at the ALA Annual Conference in New Orleans this June.
Keeping in mind the standard used by booksellers and librarians for purchases/acquisitions, judges will take note of the following:
- Editorial excellence
- Intent of book met by author
- Originality of subject matter
- Author credentials
- Professional packaging
I’m getting the impression this is sort of like Sundance for independent publishers, except -–as we would have to expect of a contest run by librarians--without the designer dresses, tabloid coverage, big money, and Robert Redford (though I’m sure Redford has the greatest respect for librarians).
Anyway, I’m thrilled that Winter Harvest is a finalist in the cooking category, and that gives me another chance to thank New Society Publishers and to say that Celeste Enriquez is the surely the world’s best illustrator of gnarly root vegetables. She can make celeriac and Jerusalem artichokes both recognizable and glamorous, and that is no easy feat.
Here's the list:
- America's Little Italys by Sheryl Bellman
- Bis on Main by Joe Vilardi & James O. Fraioli
- Brothers Cuisine by Matt & Jeff Nichols with James O. Fraioli
- Flavors of Friuli by Elisabeth Antoine Crawford
- French Cooking by Foreword by Paul Bocuse, Written by Hubert Delorme and Vincent Boue
- From Terra's Table by Jeff Rossman
- Greek Revival by Patricia Moore-Pastides
- Sarabeth's Bakery by Sarabeth Levine, Rick Rodgers, Foreword by Mimi Sheraton
- The Fishes & Dishes Cookbook by Tomi Marsh, Kiyo Marsh, Laura Cooper
- The Turkish Cookbook by Nur Ilkin and Sheilah Kaufman
- Warm Bread and Honey Cake by Gaitri Pagrach-Chandra, photography by Vanessa Courtier
- Winter Harvest Cookbook by Lane Morgan